The first ever attempt at pattern design

The first ever attempt at pattern design - student project

Hi! I'm Vala, I live in Russia and I just recently became very interested in surface pattern design. I feel like I can create a lot, but I also have a lot of self doubt. So here it is, taking one small step at a time. My first ever, surface pattern design.

My inspiration comes from two sources - all things bright and tropical, and all things pastel and sweet. Although my moodboard was built on the first part entirely.

The first ever attempt at pattern design - image 1 - student project

My drawing includes a lot of things and even flowers are different colours (I missed that part that it did not matter). I also drew some black outlines that I inteded to use, but then decided to not overcomplicate the pattern.

The first ever attempt at pattern design - image 2 - student project

The colours for the first project were picked from some pictures i found on Pinterest:

The first ever attempt at pattern design - image 3 - student project

So did the second group of colours but way-way more pastel. Also decided to re-color everything completely - from oranges to purples, from blues to browns...

The first ever attempt at pattern design - image 4 - student project

So here's the original pattern

The first ever attempt at pattern design - image 5 - student project

And here is what a re-colored version looks like

The first ever attempt at pattern design - image 6 - student project

I really enjoyed this exercise, although, I must say, it was a bit frustrating to be limited to 18 colors (I decided to follow the example of the teacher)).

P.S. I just noticed that one flower is sliced in half... Uh-oh... I will have to look at it tomorrow. Time for bed.