Occupation: Student nurse
Goals: Build muscle and gain strength
My client will need a relatively quick but effective workout to fit around her schedule, and the program needs to be flexible. She is very active, regularly reaching her 10,000 steps a day. She will need a calorie surplus in order to reach her goals. She enjoys almost any leg exercise, but would prefer to avoid Bulgarian split squats.
Warm up: 5 minutes walking n the treadmill along with some dynamic stretches.
1. Barbell squats at a weight that she is able to do for 4x10 reps, 1 minute rest between each set
Note: correct form, chest up, hips back, feet point slightly outwards.
2. Deadlift at a weight she is able to do for 4x10 reps, 1 minute rest between each set
Note: correct form, chest up, shoulders back, don't let the back round, deep breath before performing the exercise.
3. Using the smith machine to ensure she keeps her balance, lunges 4x10 on each leg, 45 seconds rest AFTER performing on both legs.
Note: aim to add a little more weight due to the exercise being on the smith machine, but don't push it too far.
4. Leg press 4x10, 45 seconds rest between each set.
5. Dumbbell walking lunges 4x10 each leg superset with dumbbell Romanian deadlift 4x10, no rest between the two exercises, 1 minute rest between the supersets. Repeat the superset 3 times.
Note: on the Romanian deadlifts ensure the knees are not bent too much and she hinges from the hips.
6. Leg curl 4x10 superset with goblet squats 4x10, no rest between the two exercises, 1 minute rest between the supersets. Repeat the superset 3 times.
Cool down: 5 minutes walk on the treadmill, stretches.
During this workout the quads, hamstrings and glutes will be the main muscles trained.
Monday: Leg day
Tuesday: Active rest day, walk or yoga
Wednesday: Upper body
Thursday: Active rest day, light cardio
Friday: Leg day
Saturday: Upper body
Sunday: Rest day, active recovery, stretches etc.