Thanks for checking out my project. My comic is named “Folk Music”. I followed Christine's process pretty closely to develop my piece.
The first step in the process was to decide on a memory for the story. I listed a number of ideas and chose one I felt was interesting. I decided I wanted to create a silent comic so I felt that this story would work well.
The second step involved laying out the story. The story needed to be clear and easy to express within a limited space. With a loose narrative in place I began to break the story into steps. Given that I was creating a one page comic I needed to limit the number of steps. I wrote the story out in numbered points. I then reduced these steps in order to tell the story as concisely as possible, finally settling on seven points. This helped me to clearly visualise the story.
In the third step I drew a number of thumbnail comic pages in which I could explore various panel layouts for the comic. This helped me to visualise varying ways of laying out the finished comic page.
In the fourth step I chose a panel layout for the comic. I assigned a word to each of the panels corresponding to the steps within the story, this helped me to further visualise each panel. I then created a larger version of my layout and began creating rough sketches for each panel.
Once I had a clear idea of the imagery I wanted to use for each panel the fifth step involved sketching out the illustration for the panels.
The final step of my process involved digitising my comic. I began by scanning the panels which I had sketched out. I then recreated my comic layout in Adobe Illustrator. I placed each of my sketches within my illustrator project and I then inked each panel. I had originally intended to create a black and white comic strip. I found, however, as I added a black fill to my illustrations they contrasted nicely against the beige tone of my scanned images. This gave me the idea to colour my comic with a beige fill which I think helped the piece to stand out in the end.