That was a lot of fun. I didn't have all the materials since I stoped using oil paint more than a decade ago I don't have any of those products left, but I managed to do plenty of experiments none the less, trying all sorts of paper and surfaces.
I tried to do some characters, faces and other bits mixing crayola and gallery oil pastels. First is on the right with crayola only, last is the top left one and also my favorite of the 5 there.
There was a massive improvement with each face I did :
I forgot to take pictures of the swatches and I sort of destroyed them when I cut them out in bits. Instead of a grid I did some spheres, cubes, eyes, lips and such and such.
I forgot to take pictures of the swatches and I sort of destroyed them when I cut them out in bits. Instead of a grid I did some spheres, cubes, eyes, lips and such and such too.
I then proceded to make some compositions from the bits. Some swatches were quite ''ugly'' but once cut up, were interesting textures. Same with the faces...
Also made other pieces with a superb dark blue paper handmade from recycled fabric. I had a full 22x30 sheet. Sadly I tried to use busho on one of them, and... I'm really unhappy about that choice, it makes the paper look dirty... but the rest I like a lot, contrast is awesome.
I made a second one with bits dones with the gallery pastels. (no brusho this time)
I tried a couple of options to seal the pastel. I had retouchable fix, some varnishes and such. I ended up for the 2 last pieces 2 layers of fix then 2 coats of acrylic varnish. Will use a mat one, or satin next time.