- 1x (Normal)
NGINX vs Apache4:15
Installation: Package Manager3:17
Installation: Building from Source & Adding Modules4:32
NGINX as a Service & Updating Source Build5:27
Understanding Configuration Terms1:20
Creating a Virtual Host4:56
Inheritance & Directive Types4:31
Configuring a Backend4:53
Workers & Misc5:14
Security: Basic Auth1:48
Security: Hardening NGINX4:44
Documentation & Resources3:09
About This Class
Learn to install, configure and tweak Nginx to create secure, high performance web servers from scratch.
Build a strong foundation in Nginx with this practical course suited to both beginners and the more experienced.
- Learn to customise the Nginx installation
- Configure Nginx as a web server
- Install & configure a server-side programming language as an Nginx backend
- Learn to tweak Nginx for optimal performance
- Secure Nginx with some security best practises
An invaluable skill for any techie or developer in the web industry
Nginx is the fastest growing and most popular web server for a reason, so understanding it will be an invaluable skill to anyone working in the web industry, specially network admins & web developers.
This course will provide a very practical and concise approach to learning Nginx and will give you a solid base to immediately start creating secure, high performance web servers.
Content and Overview
With 24 concise and practical lectures, this course aims to teach a solid foundational understanding of Nginx and is suitable for anyone with a basic understanding of networking and the linux command line interface.
The course starts by looking at the differences between Nginx and Apache for those with Apache experience and then explains the different ways of installing Nginx, customsing your install, and configuring Nginx as a service.
The installation section also covers updating Nginx without downtime and adding/removing modules.
The bulk of the course is then focussed on configuring Nginx as a web server, including connecting it to a PHP backend and configuring some of Nginx's best features, such as Gzipping and GeoIP.
The final section will go over securing the server and the user via SSL and other security best practices.
Upon completion of this course you will have the practical skills to immediately start building secure, high performance web servers or improve and better understand existing hosting solutions you might work with.
This course is to the point and everything is demonstrated in the most simple, yet practical ways.
We do not focus on the theory, but get straight to installing, configuring and learning!
What are the requirements?
- Understand basic networking concepts
- Be comfortable using the command line
What am I going to get from this course?
- Learn to create custom Nginx web servers
- Customise your Nginx install
- Secure & optimise your server
- Add an invaluable skill to your resume
- Verifiable certificate of completion
What is the target audience?
- This course is aimed at Nginx newbies looking to get started as quickly and effectively as possible.
- The aim is to get a practical understanding of Nginx as a real-world web server and not dig into all of it's features.
- The course does not cover hosting/networking concepts, but rather assumes an understanding of the basic principles and use of commands such as curl.
Stackacademy is dedicated to providing high quality courses for developers, designers and digital marketers.
My name is Ray Viljoen, I have 9 years of development experience as a full stack developer for a London-based tech company and I'm 100% self-taught.
My courses focus on practical skills and is designed to be easy to follow and review. Every lesson is concise and aims to teach real world skills.