- 1x (Normal)
Introduction & Overview0:38
Research & Ideas: Choosing Images & Text2:41
Tracing an Animal Outline2:30
Planning & Sketching Your Lettering4:02
Defining the Letters0:59
Finalising Your Lettering1:55
Digitising Your Hand-Lettered Animal4:17
Taking Your Work Further, Saving & Conclusion4:05
About This Class
Animals are sweet and hand-lettering is awesome — so let’s put them together in this fun, simple and quick class which does not require a lot of resources, drawing or lettering skills!
I am Evgeniya Righini-Brand and in this class I am going to share my favourite technique of hand-lettering within animal silhouettes. It’s a really cool approach to making designs that incorporate both typography and illustrations, and can easily be applied to create striking posters, t-shirts, greeting cards, adverts and even logotypes!
This class covers:
- choosing the right source images;
- tracing animal outlines by hand;
- making your own home-made carbon paper;
- planning and sketching lettering;
- defining lettering – feel free to use my lettering guide which shows my approach to creating letterforms for this kind of projects;
- finalising lettering by hand;
- digitising lettering using Adobe Capture app, Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator Image Trace function. But you can also stick to a pure pen and paper approach, if you wish, and not use any software to complete this class project!
This class is suitable for pretty much any skill level and does not require a lot, if any experience with drawing or lettering!
- soft (2B or softer) & hard pencils (HB or harder);
- marker or thick liner;
- any kind of light paper 80–100 gsm (photocopier paper);
- masking tape;
- reference image;
- optional: tracing paper or carbon paper or light-box;
- optional: ballpoint pen;
- optional: card or heavy paper;
- optional: Adobe Capture and/or Adobe Photoshop and/or Adobe Illustrator.
- Type as Image — research board on Pinterest
I’m really excited to see what you create! Join me in this class to draw and hand-letter your favourite animal!
Class Projects 20 See All
98 of 98 students recommendSee All
Really cool class! Pretty detailed and well structured and also some fabulous examples for further steps to enhance the artwork. Can't wait to start with the first project and play around with shapes and letters, words and phrases. Thanks for the inspiration and bringing back some distant AI and Photoshop memories in terms of features and workflow! :)
We are Dominic & Evgeniya Righini-Brand, a creative couple specialising in graphic design and photography. Our small studio Attitude Creative is run from a cute garden house hidden away in the middle of England.
We have 5 years of university teaching experience each, and we would love to share with you what we are passionate about and what we have learnt from teaching communication design and photography students over the years.
For more information about our graphic design side please visit attitudecreative.co.uk and to see what we are up to day to day check us out on Facebook and Instagram. You can also have a look at our photographic portolio at 1705photography.com.