Simple Character Animation Premium class
- 1x (Normal)
Design in Illustrator10:15
Build in After Effects10:42
Rigging in After Effects7:44
Animate the Walk Cycle - Part 110:26
Animate the Walk Cycle - Part 211:23
Render, Export & Share your Animated GIF8:21
About This Class
Bring simple characters to life! Animation is the future of design and an important next step in expanding your design skill set. In this class, I'll walk you through a simple process where you'll learn to build and rig a simple character for animation and share it as a gif!
This Skillshare class is going to break down the process of character animation for you. I will cover simple character creation and animation techniques from design and rigging, through to simple walk cycle animation. You will learn about shape layers, paths, masks, key framing and key frame velocity – and how to apply them to your animations.
What You'll Learn
- Design in Illustrator. I'll walk you through simple character design, and how to design with After Effects animation in mind.
- Building in After Effects. We will take your character from Illustrator, and import it into After Effects to build your him for animation.
- Rigging in After Effects. I'll walk you through the process of rigging your character for simple motion in After Effects.
- Walk or run cycle. We'll finalize your action and get your character moving in a scene!
- Export your animated GIF. I'll show you the simple process for getting your animation shareable and out there!
What You'll Do
You will design and create a character in an animated run cycle! I will show you how to export your animated GIF to make your work sharable. This process will give you tools to take all of your designs and illustrations to the next level – efficiently and seamlessly!
This course is a primer in the toughest aspect of animation – character animation. Using the strengths of After Effects to create fun movement for motion graphics and animation, we will break down the difficulty and give you the tools to create great animated characters!
...Hungry for more? Check out my follow-up animation class, Simple Character Lip Sync to make your characters talk!
Class Projects 792 See All
I'm an award-winning London-based, Director and Animator with the London-based Partnership Sweet Crude. I was previously Head of Motion Graphics at Mainframe, a Motion Graphics, VFX & Animation House. Graduating from Nottingham Trent University with a BA Hons in Graphic Design, I have six years of experience creating advertising, music videos, and channel branding across many media. I have won a BAFTA, multiple International Promax Awards and my work has been featured in numerous publications.
I'm the writer and director of the multi-award winning Youtube series "The Alternative Rugby Commentary" and have collaborated with several comedians to create a number of animated short films.