Photoshop for Illustrators I: Workspace, Layers, and Drawing Premium class
- 1x (Normal)
Photoshop for Illustrators2:50
Creating a New Document4:21
Exploring Your Workspace15:18
Layers Part 111:14
Layers Part 25:16
Layers Part 37:55
Layers Part 48:28
Drawing Tools Part 19:56
Drawing Tools Part 211:30
About This Class
Imagine using Photoshop with ease and fluidity to illustrate exactly what you picture in your mind. Eager to start? Learn the software and tools to help your creativity flourish.
In this first of three classes, I’ll translate the tips and tricks I’ve honed over years as an illustrator to tell you everything you need to begin navigating the world of Photoshop. We’ll use a few simple cartoon characters to learn the most relevant fundamentals of the Photoshop workspace, including layers and drawing tools.
Kick things into gear, and be on your way to creating illustrations that match your vision.
This three-part series will take you through the fundamental features of Photoshop that illustrators use. This series was created specifically to help aspiring illustrators learn the basics of Photoshop without having to go through tools that don’t apply to their work. Photoshop is the most versatile program for creating artwork because of its ability to combine raster and vector images, and this is the series to help you maximize and master its essential tools.
What You’ll Learn
- Settings. You’ll walk through all the basic settings of Photoshop and what you need to know to create a smooth and effective workspace.
- Workspace. You’ll get a full look at the ins and outs of the Photoshop workspace.
- Layers. You’ll learn how layers—one of Photoshop's most crucial features—play a role in creating illustrations.
- Selection Tools. You’ll find out how to select parts of your illustration using a variety of different methods.
- Drawing Tools. You’ll learn about the pencil and brush tool in order to start creating drawings of your own.
What You’ll Do
- Project Deliverable. Set up your Photoshop workspace and create a basic drawing.
- Description. Share the drawing you made with your classmates. Explain the tools used to create it.
- Specs. Use provided assets or create your own illustrations.
Class Projects 14 See All
111 of 112 students recommendSee All
Absolutely informative class for beginners. It's just like all the questions I had when I opened Photoshop for the first time and then while I was trying to do tutorials from the web - all that Matt explains consistently and with examples. I'd love to learn more of his classes :)
This course is very detailed and offers a lot of information in a short amount of time. I discovered it is best to watch when I have no distractions. I have watched it several times, not because the instructor is unclear, but because he covers so much in each video. Extremely helpful to me. I recommend this class to anyone who wants to create illustrations in photoshop.
I mostly do vector illustration, but wanted to improve my Photoshop skills. I like how Matt explains the basics while I follow along with the file he provided. I already knew some of the stuff he covered, but I learned new shortcuts and tips, especially the layer types, which always confused me! I look forward to more of his classes!
Matt Kaufenberg is a freelance illustrator from Alexandria, Minnesota. Originally working as freelance graphic designer after college, he eventually decided to pursue a career in illustration, always his true passion.
For over two years, he has had the pleasure of illustrating some fantastic projects and working with companies such as Target, Nickelodeon, American Greetings, and more. He is influenced by artists from the 60's and 70's, especially children's book illustrators.
He also teaches occasional classes for Alexandria Technical College's Communication Art and Design program.
In his free time, he enjoys spending time with his wife and their three kids.