Pattern Design: Creating Repeat Patterns From Your Illustrations & Paintings Premium class
- 1x (Normal)
Creating a Manual Repeat Pattern From Your Illustrations2:35
The Digital Repeat Technique, Importing Images, + Cleaning Up Illustrations Using Photoshop20:35
Using Photoshop Layers To Create Multiple Colorways8:52
Applying Completed Repeat Patterns To Product Templates13:10
The Importance of File Types, Color Modes, and Resolution8:48
About This Class
Ever wanted to create your own hand-drawn patterns for clothing, wallpaper, or even giftwraps? In this course you'll learn how to transform your sketches into print-ready patterns.
This class is for pattern designers, graphic designers, illustrators, artists, crafters and anyone else who is interested in pattern design using hand-drawn techniques and Adobe Photoshop.
What You'll Learn:
- The Manual Repeat Technique. How to prepare a hand-drawn illustration or painting for digital repeat.
- Digital Repeat Technique. How to turn a hand-drawn illustration or painting into a digitally repeating pattern using Adobe Photoshop.
- Using Photoshop Layers to Create Multiple Colorways. How to use layers in Adobe Photoshop to create multiple colorways for designs.
- Applying Completed Repeat Patterns To Product Templates. How to apply completed repeat patterns to product templates for mockups.
- The Importance of File Types, Color Modes, and Resolution. The difference between files types, resolutions, and color modes, and the importance of saving files under the correct settings for different uses.
What You'll Make
From hand drawing to product printing, you'll learn the essentials of pattern design. We'll start working with analog materials then refine and muliply your basic pattern in Photoshop. By the end of this course you will have a digital repeat pattern ready for printing on a product of your choice. Apply what you learn in this class to deck out your wallpaper, iPhone, fabric, jigsaw puzzle, or more!
Class Projects 77 See All
122 of 133 students recommendSee All
Kristi O'Meara is a multi-disciplinary artist, designer, and author living and working in Chicago, Illinois. She is the co-founder and co-director of The Patternbas Textile Design Studio.
She received her bachelor of fine arts in 2009 from the Kansas City Art Institute, where she studied painting, design, and fiber arts. She has worked for many inspirational organizations and designers, including The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Porter Teleo, Nick Cave, Rita Bucheit, Ltd., and Rine Boyer.
Kristi released her first publication, The Pattern Base: Over 550 Contemporary Textile and Surface Designs through Thames & Hudson Publishing in 2015. The Pattern Base showcases more than 550 textile, surface, fashion, and print designs from over 150 designers working around the world. Part One is a sourcebook of designs, organized by motifs, including: Geometric, Floral, Representational, Digital Abstract, Illustrative, and Fabric Swatches. Part Two presents profiles of thirteen artists, constituting the hottest up-and-comers in the fields of textile and fashion design.
Visit www.KristiOMeara.com to learn more about Kristi's work and upcoming events.
Visit www.ThePatternbase.com to learn more about The Patternbase Design Studio.
Contact Kristi at [email protected]