- 1x (Normal)
Lesson 1: Design Concepts6:12
Lesson 2: Developing a floor plan layout5:37
Lesson 3: Selecting Furniture, Lighting Fixtures & Accessories7:45
Lesson 4: Styling + Final Presentation7:06
About This Class
Love where you work! Design a custom, stylish and functional modern home office like a pro. Do you work, study or blog part or full-time from home? What does your space look like? Is it functional? Stylish? Amazing? Do you love it? If you answered yes to the first question and even hesitated at any of the following questions, this class is for you!
It’s a known fact that the quality and comfort of your workspace has a direct effect on your productivity and overall well-being. Depending on the type of work you do, if you work full-time, you easily spend 25-30% of your time in your workspace (or in my case closer to 35-40%). So, why spend a quarter of your life in an uncomfortable, ugly space? Do I need to go on and on about how important this is! You deserve the best!
In this online class from Skillshare, learn the professional approach to basic interior design methods, guidelines, tips, tricks and sources and design a modern, custom workspace that you will LOVE to be in! (even if you do have to be working).
Note: It doesn’t matter if your space is part of a shared space or its own separate room, the same design principles will apply.
Topics and Skills covered in this class include:
- Interior design concept development : Learn how professional Interior Designers devise, develop and present a design concept and apply these skills to your project.
- Basic space planning skills for private office spaces : Through learning basic private office programming and space planning methods and guidelines, you will learn how to layout a dimensioned/scaled office space that suits your specific needs.
- Budgeting + Sourcing : Learn how to select and budget for colors, materials, furnishings and lighting to turn your concept into a reality.
- Tricks of the Trade : Get an insider scoop on sourcing, styling, innovative use of space and storage ideas as well as some tips on hiring trades to help if you need it.
- Pulling it all together : Create a digital presentation board showcasing your design
Through examples, step-by-step instructions, a series of short video lectures, resources for sourcing and inspiration, and feedback from yours truly and your peers, students will learn all the skills necessary to design their dream modern home workspace.
Project submittals for feedback from peers and teacher:
- Digital design concept board
- Individual scaled floor plan sketch based on real space and items
- Budget and source list for project
- Final presentation board showcasing your scaled floor plan, furniture, lighting & accessories.
This class is for anyone and everyone who uses or wants to use space in their home for full-time or part time work, study, blogging, web-surfing, bill-paying, etc. and is ready to make it stylish, functional and fabulous!
Class Projects 4 See All
I am a professional Interior and Graphic Designer based in Tampa, Florida with 20 years of experience. Throughout the years, I have had the opportunity to work on amazing projects with architectural and design firms in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and Tampa. My work has included high-end commercial, residential, retail, restaurant/bar and branded environment interiors projects both in the US and abroad.
For the past 5 years, I have been running my own multidisciplinary design firm in Tampa which focuses on high-end residential, corporate, specialty retail and boutique restaurant/ bar interiors as well as brand identity development, design and promotional graphics. I have taught Interior Design at the college level and love sharing my passion for design with others. As far as credentials go, I graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree with high honors in Graphic Design from the University of Notre Dame and a Master’s Degree with honors in Interior Design from Pratt Institute.
Ever since I can remember, design and art have been a huge part of my life. With an architect for a father, I was surrounded by beautiful modern design at an early age. I grew up playing with drafting supplies and art materials as toys and still consider them as such. Design is my profession but it is also my love and where I feel at home. I am absolutely thrilled to share it with you!
I have been so lucky to live and experience art and design in cities and cultures all over this country and abroad. Did I mention that I studied art in Florence in college? so fun!
In my free time you will find me painting, silversmithing, collecting design inspiration (here and here), doing yoga, playing with my crack kitty Goose, going for long walks, dreaming of urban spaces and eating dark chocolate. (not all at the same time)