- 1x (Normal)
Get to Know: Round Brushes11:51
Get to Know: Flat Brushes1:30
Get to Know: Filbert Brushes1:13
Get to Know: Rigger, Angle, and Fan Brushes2:18
Project One: Simplified Bamboo3:14
Project Two: Wild Grasses4:32
Project Three: Loose Landscape3:21
Final Advice and Thanks0:44
About This Class
Expressive Brushwork: Bring Your Marks to Life is about getting to know your brushes and then putting them to work for you in a fearless way. This class is aimed at beginners or artists looking to refresh skills.
You will learn:
What marks each brush makes.
To build confidence in controlling them through specific exercises.
To let loose with confidence in three, expressive projects.
In short, we learn to control the brushes, then we learn to let go.
You'll need a few supplies:
- Indian Ink
- Brushes: Round/Pointed Round, Flat, Filbert, Rigger, Angle, Fan *
- A4 or US Letter cartridge or sketch paper (I recommend 100gsm or heavier)
- Watercolours (only a few, basic colours are needed)
- Water, spray bottle, and paper towels
* The brushes should be suitable for watercolour work, and can be synthetic or sable/natural bristles. Each brush has a different mark, and you'll see me switching frequently to demonstrate this. Brushes also vary manufacturer to manufacturer, so having several is a goal to work towards.
This class includes a four page pdf download after enrolment.
Looking forward to seeing your projects!
Class Projects 8 See All
Jen Dixon works mostly in mixed media abstract and figurative painting. She is also an illustrator, writer, and teaches life-drawing. Originally from Indiana, she now lives in a village on the North Cornwall coast of England.
Having led her first drawing classes at the age of six, she continued with art throughout her school days by selling portraits and sign-painting for local businesses. She taught art to young teens before achieving a degree in Industrial Design from The Art Institute of Pittsburgh.
Jen has worked as a muralist, corporate display artist for former national retail giant Musicland Group (US), and a commissions painter. She tutors regularly from her studio, and her art hangs in private collections around the world.