Write a Fantasy Adventure: Discover Mythology and Create Your Epic Tale
- 1x (Normal)
Your Class Project, Introduction and Overview2:49
Lesson 1: Mythology in Today's Pop Culture2:56
Lesson 2: Profiling Fantasy Characters5:23
Lesson 3: Story Basics3:19
Lesson 4: The Root of Obsession (or: What's at Stake?)3:13
Lesson 5: Maximizing Intuition1:50
Lesson 6: Pin Your Way to Creativity2:37
Lesson 7: How It All Begins3:00
Lesson 8: Get It Written, Stress-Free1:36
Lesson 9: Done Is Better Than Perfect0:55
Bonus Lesson: Battling Crystal Ball Clarity2:34
Project: Step 16:52
Project: Step 27:23
Project: Step 3 and Conclusion3:02
About This Class
In this writing class, you'll:
- Use ancient mythology & hieroglyphics to inspire and expand your imagination.
- Spark the idea for your own original fantasy world.
- Learn to write characters that readers will fall in love with and admire.
- Gain new perspective on your favorite fantasy books (like Harry Potter and The Hunger Games)
- And write the first 10 pages of your epic fantasy tale (all with confidence and ease!)
Hi, I'm Morgan Lindsay Nelson and I'm thrilled to be teaching this class here at Skillshare!
Here's a bit about myself so you know me better:
- I am a writer and visual artist.
- Writing has been a constant love of mine throughout my life.
- I've written screenplays for the past ten years, lifestyle articles for digital startups and pen short stories.
- I am a total nerd for all things creative.
- I work with aspiring writers to guide them through the (sometimes-overwhelming) world of writing and energize their creativity so it all feels fresh and fun.
Class Projects 1 See All
25 of 28 students recommendSee All
I recommend this class for the assignment, not really for the videos. I don't particularly think I have an extensive background in writing or storytelling, but I didn't learn anything new in the lectures for this class. However, I think the assignment is very well thought out and looks easy enough to not seem daunting and thought-provoking enough to be fully engrossing. I also like the particular way that she's found to give inspiration in a seemingly random yet customized and fun way. Following this, I will definitely come up with a story that I wouldn't have otherwise created, and it's satisfying to check the epic tale I already have planned against the info here to see that it overlaps almost perfectly without me making a conscious effort to follow all or any of these universal points.
A great starting point to jump start your brain, this class was perfect for me. (I'm a terrible procrastinator but had always wanted to be a published author) This class gave me the tools to get the ball rolling on my story, gave me ideas for getting more book ideas, and the teacher was easy to understand. Thanks Morgan!
Morgan Lindsay Nelson is a visual artist and writer.
She presently creates comics and teaches other to do the same.
Morgan lives in the Pacific Northwest with her most treasured family and friends…not to mention an out-of-control accumulation of Criterion Collection films and more high-waisted jeans, tees, and loafers than she can keep track of ;)
Learn more about Morgan & her work here: morganlindsaynelson.com