Watercolor for Surface Pattern Design: Working with Adobe Illustrator
- 1x (Normal)
Intro to Watercolor for Surface Pattern Design1:45
Welcome + Overview6:52
Scanning our Artwork2:58
Time to Vectorize!13:14
Choosing a Color Palette that WORKS6:13
Applying Color to the Motifs6:57
Layering and Building Motifs9:15
Making a Seamless Repeating Pattern7:57
Easily Recolor your Pattern (!!)5:33
Saving Images for the Web & for Clip Art6:14
Your Course Project + Next Steps4:37
About This Class
This course is designed specifically for the Illustrator looking to incorporate painted artwork and watercolors into their designs, using Adobe Illustrator. Whether you're a budding surface pattern designer or licensed STAR, you'll learn tips and tricks along the way that will help build your career (or hobby!) as a pattern designer. We'll start with the basics and advance to the most technical knowledge you'll need to begin making beautiful artwork.
PLEASE NOTE: If you're new to Illustrator, be sure to take Intro to Surface Pattern Design and Surface Pattern Design 2.0 first. This course will assume that you're either competent in Illustrator or that you've taken these two courses first. :)
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN
Watercolor artwork is everywhere, but it poses a unique dilemma for Illustrators. Traditionally, watercolors are a Photoshop users best friend, but this course will teach you how to make them work FOR you in Adobe Illustrator. I'll teach you how to paint with Illustrator in mind, scan and vectorize your artwork, make repeating patterns and color (and recolor!) them beautifully.
- Gather the best tools for watercolor painting
- Learn to paint with Illustrator in mind
- Scan and vectorize your paintings like a pro
- Limit the # of colors in your document
- Build a repeating pattern with your artwork
- Choose a color palette for your pattern that works
- Learn to recolor your watercolor pattern with ease
This course is designed to give you all the technical and creative skills you need to start designing beautiful painterly patterns, plus my hope is that it will motivate and inspire you to start following your creative dream!
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
Below are a few of the tools that will be helpful in this course.
- Adobe Illustrator (begin a free trial here)
- Watercolor paper - I recommend Fabriano
- Watercolor paint- I recommend Dr. Ph. Martin's
- Watercolor brushes- I recommend Grace Art Brushes
- Scanner - I recommend Canon LiDE120
LET'S GET STARTED!
I am so excited to begin this adventure with you. Let's get started!
hi! my name is bonnie and i love to fill my world with pretty patterns, share all that i know with the roost tribe and blog to inspire the artisan's soul.
creating patterns and illustrations with summery sweet hues is my happy place. i am a self-taught designer and am constantly inspired by the natural world around us, from the biggest of trees to the tiniest of leaves! i thrive on botanical gardens, sunshiny days, and nature walks- camera in one hand, sketchbook in the other.
you can see some of my pattern work at the links below:
- fabric collections for art gallery fabrics
- ribbon for renaissance ribbons
- wallpaper for wallternatives
- wall stencils for royal design studio
i believe patterns are one of the ways that we can express ourselves, and make our spaces beautiful. the patterns of our lives have the capacity to connect deeply within us and i love to weave parts of my life into each one of them. with each one that you see you will have seen a little piece of my life and heart.
along with illustrating, i also love to cook, sew, read, photograph, make things and drink coffee. you can find me talking about all of these things (and more!) over on my blog- going home to roost.
MY LINKS - see you around the web! :)
- Fabric Collections
- Roost Tribe
- Social Media: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest
- Shops: Etsy | Bonnie Christine | Society6
i look forward to meeting you!