Introduction to Fashion Photography: Capture the Look
- 1x (Normal)
Inspiration and Model Scouting3:14
Location, natural lighting, movement, posing, and framing your subject7:04
Editing and client deliverables2:30
About This Class
As someone who made my way into the fashion photography business independently, with a lot of hard work and what feels like an infinite number of photos, I'm excited to share all the techniques, tips and tricks to start a portfolio and what I have learned along the way to help you do the same.
What You'll Learn
This class is designed for anyone who wants to explore fashion photography as a profession or a hobby, as well as anyone with a fashion line wanting to capture their work.
- Getting Inspired. Tactics for finding inspiration for your photos' style and a shoot concept.
- Finding Your Subject. Where and what to look for in sourcing a model.
- Location. Scouting and exploring the right location for your shoot.
- Lighting. Different lighting options and how to find the right one for your shot.
- Posing & Movement. Tips on how to achieve the posing and movement with your model.
- Framing. Various framing techniques to consider.
- Client Deliverables. Overview of the editing process and what your deliverables to a client would be.
What You'll Do
Students will leave this class with a set of 2-3 fashion photos for your portfolio. You can find professional models to work with or pull in some of your friends. The idea will be to put the techniques you're learning into practice to share with your classmates for feedback. A DSLR camera is highly recommended, but a point and shoot or iPhone works, too.
73 of 92 students recommendSee All
Bethany's class was very helpful. I'd love to see more classes from her in the future.
It is an interesting, though very short course introducing the most important things about Fashion photography. I would love to have another course which is a bit more detailed, but this one is a good introduction.
Bethany is a seattle explorer and photographer that specializes in portraiture and fashion. She also is a mobile photographer that works with brands for mobile campaigns or projects, and her work can be seen on her Instagram.
Her work has been featured by Columbia, Madewell, Aritzia, VSCO, Print Magazine and Relevant Magazine.