Intro to programming: teach yourself Python while cheating at Scrabble
- 1x (Normal)
Welcome, a quick introduction, and why Python (1:36)1:35
Installing Python and a text editor (2:38)2:48
Starting Python, and the command line: bringing out the hacker within! (7:14)7:13
Python as a calculator (10:53)10:53
Python scripts (11:35)11:35
Making choices (28:29)28:29
Reading data from files (9:27)9:27
Building your Scrabble cheater! (1:56)1:55
Scrabble cheater step #1 (2:30)2:30
Scrabble cheater step #2 (1:39)1:39
Scrabble cheater step #3 (4:04)4:04
Scrabble cheater step #4 (1:35)1:35
Scrabble cheater step #5 (3:40)3:40
Congratulations! Wrap-up and next steps (3:51)3:51
About This Class
Are you a Redditor? YouTube diva? Dropbox devotee? Pinterest addict? Instagram aficionado?
What do all of these services have in common? They all use Python, a popular, easy-to-learn, super-productive programming language that I want you to learn with me this June!
Learning to program is perhaps the most fun, empowering, and career-rewarding investment you can make in yourself in 4 weeks. Besides that, it'll help you beat the pants off your friends and family at Scrabble and Words with Friends.
What can you do with Python?
In short, anything you can imagine! Want to build a website, create a game, remix music, or analyze data? Python is a versatile language that makes it easy to do useful work in just a few lines of code and is backed by a friendly, supportive community. It is also really popular, which means tons of companies are hiring for Python developers, tons of school teach in it, and tons of hobbyists use it.
This class will take you from absolute beginner to cheating at Scrabble and writing other useful scripts to automate and improve your life in 4 hands-on, practice-filled weeks. Each session includes:
* An introduction to core programming and Python concepts
* Demos of fun and useful Python applications
* Hands-on exercises created just for this class!
* Bonus programs and practice material to explore and reinforce the concepts we cover
Who should take this course?
This class assumes no prior programming experience. We'll cover:
* Setting up your development environment, including installing Python and basic command line navigation
* Using Python as a calculator
* Variables, strings, and flow control
* Dictionaries, lists, and iteration
* Functions, modules, and writing and running Python scripts
* Writing interactive applications
By the end of the course, you will:
* Be comfortable setting up and using your programming environment
* Be well-oriented in the Python ecosystem, including understanding popular libraries and applications
* Understand core programming concepts like flow control and iteration
* Understand how and when to use basic Python data types
* Know how to write and run useful Python scripts from scratch
Cheating at Scrabble. This will be you in 4 weeks!
38 of 40 students recommendSee All
After just two videos in I am excited to learn Python after years of avoiding learning coding and I already learned using the installation instructions that Python is available on my Mac! Thank you for the class!
Teaching 71 Skillshare Classes! New Videos Daily!
Jessica McKellar is an entrepreneur, software engineer, and open source developer from Cambridge, MA. She is a Python Software Foundation board member and an organizer for the largest Python user group in the world. She has taught hundreds of beginning programmers through the user group and its popular Boston Python Workshop, an introductory programming pipeline for women and their friends that has brought hundreds of women into the local Python community and is being replicated in cities across the US.