Hand Lettering Styles and Techniques for Embellishment
- 1x (Normal)
Welcome to Class!0:53
Research & Reference2:59
The Pen Tool4:36
The Script Alphabet (Lowercase)4:23
The Script Alphabet (Uppercase)3:05
The Capital Alphabet5:28
Time Lapse of Title Card8:21
About This Class
How do letterforms work? How do you add embellishments like script styles and drop shadows? Learn techniques to take your lettering to the next level in Adobe Illustrator!
Join Spencer Charles, formerly Senior Designer at acclaimed design firm Louise Fili Ltd, to learn a techniques, tips, tricks, and best practices to create your best lettering work. Lessons cover:
- Letterform Research: study historical examples to see how common letterforms are made
- Illustrator Best Practices: learn the best ways to use grids, layers, and the infamous pen tool
- Alphabet Script Styles: construct lowercase and uppercase letters in different styles
- Effects for Embellishment: practice inlines, outlines, drop shadows, and more
- Monograms: learn how to weave and interlock letterforms
Illustrator is as diverse as your creative vision. Expand your skills while creating fantastic work!
Images Courtesy Spencer Charles, Designer and Lettering Artist
Spencer Charles is a typographic designer and letterer residing in Brooklyn, New York. Growing up, he always wanted to be either an artist or architect. Inspired by such artists as Chris Ware, he ultimately chose art.
After graduating in 2010 from the University of Utah in Salt Lake City, he moved to New York City to work at Louise Fili Ltd as Senior Designer. Louise Fili Ltd, founded in 1989, specializes in logo, package, and book design. He is currently working independently, expanding into typeface design and illustration.
Spencer is inspired by growing in his work and inspiring others to do the same.