Design Rebel: Socially Conscious Design
- 1x (Normal)
The Visual Message6:12
What Do You Care About?3:35
You're Not Alone4:14
Identifying Audience & Message4:09
Engaging an Audience4:00
Creating Your Subversion5:02
Sharing Your Message2:08
Becoming a Social Entrepreneur3:26
About This Class
Design Rebels unite! Design is encountered constantly in your everyday life. . . even more than you encounter advertisements. There is tremendous power in design as a means to communicate with the world. There is a way to do it right, and a way to do it wrong. In this class, Noah will teach you how to harness your creativity to design for social good.
In this class, design activist Noah Scalin will take you through a history of design activism and the socially conscious design projects that inspire movements. You'll be equipped with the inspiration and conceptual tools to harness your passion and create good with it. Anyone can be a design rebel, you just have to make the choice to use your skills to proliferate what you believe in. This class is the place to start!
What You'll Learn
- Think Like a Designer and an Activist. Utilizing the power of design and your frame of mind.
- Turn your Passion into Action. Putting your design skills to work.
- Create & Spread your Message. Identifying your audience & message.
- Become a Social Entrepreneur. Turning your work into a bigger movement.
What You'll Do
- Deliverable. You will design a small poster that illustrates a message you are passionate about communicating to the world.
- Brief. Design Activism is all about passion. This class will guide you in discovering your passion and turning it into a visual creation to share with the world.
- Specs. You will print your mini activism poster and distribute it in your community. Your poster should be small enough to be disributed as many places as possible.
Class Projects 1 See All
32 of 33 students recommendSee All
This class was really inspiring. It helped me reconnect with the rebel rousing part of me that first got interested in design & street art when I was 19-20 years old & figure out how to merge the spirit of that into the action oriented 35 year old designer I am today.
Noah Scalin is an American artist known for his creation of the award winning Skull-A-Day art project weblog. He runs the socially conscious design and consulting firm Another Limited Rebellion (ALR Design) in Richmond, Virginia. Noah is the author of several books on creativity, art, and design.
Noah was an invited guest speaker at the 2009 Gel conference.
His next project is the multi-platform science fiction universe/band League of Space Pirates.