Create Music With Recordings Of Items You Can Find Around The House
- 1x (Normal)
Choice Of Items1:36
Setting Up Your Recording Session4:03
Recording With A Microphone (Connected To Your Computer)6:07
Recording With External Equipment1:03
Importing Further Recordings2:00
Typical Sampler Parameters6:10
Processing Percussive Samples6:58
Bonus: More Percussive Samples9:35
Processing Long/Looped Samples8:10
Basic Beat Loop4:40
Changing The Pitch3:58
Basic Melodic Loops8:45
Create Tonal Samples With Short Loops4:02
Variations & Arrangement7:36
Class Project and Bye!0:56
About This Class
In this class, you will learn to make music from recordings of items you can find at your home, only using your favorite DAW (or a demo version of a DAW) and a cheap or built-in microphone or your mobile phone.
I'll guide you though the following steps:
- Choose a pool of items to get some rich sounding recordings.
- Set up a recording session in a DAW of your choice (any DAW with a sampler plugin will be fine). This should be also a good start for future projects.
- Record the items in a proper way to get rich recordings. You won't need any expensive equipment for that, any microphone you have at hand (even built-in mics) will to the trick. I'll do some of the recordings with help of my mobile phone.
- Edit the recordings and organize the sounds into a sampler plugin of your choice. We'll use different techniques to get a variety of results.
- Program a simple midi loop to build a foundation for a piece of instrumental music and create varitions.
- Use the different parts to create a short song with a simple arrangement.
- Process a mixdown of the parts into a single audio file.
Have fun making music without spending money on equipment!
Class Projects 1 See All
I'm a DJ, producer, remixer, radio host and music lover from Dortmund (Germany). I'm also a teacher and trainer for DJing and Music Production at the VibrA School of DJing, the largest association of DJ schools in Europe.
Teaching to me is more than just knowing technical facts and details about my field of expertise. It's about giving the student a feeling of "I can understand this!" or "I can do this too!" and talk to him in a way so he can really achieve the knowledge without being an expert before the training.
I took a long way: In 1995, I bought my first turntables and started my first steps as a DJ and amateur producer. I played countless club gigs all over Germany and I still host a weekly fm live radio show named “Schwarzmarkt" (german for “black market"), which is on air live since 2002, every Friday night on Dortmund's fm college radio “eldoradio*". Besides, I was engaged in producing, working with lots of artists and musicians and doing remixes for contests. Since 2006 I additionally work as teacher and trainer at Europe's biggest association of DJ-Schools, the “VibrA – School of Djing" in Dortmund (and Münster for the time it existed) to coach DJs and producers coming from all styles of music in the arts of mixing, scratching and producing.
Some things I did and achieved in the last years:
- 1995 - today: Club-DJ in various locations
- 2002 - today: Host and Radio-DJ at fm radio station eldoradio* in Dortmund with my own weekly live show
- 2006 - today: Teacher for DJing at the VibrA School of DJing in Dortmund
- 2012 - today: Teacher for Music Production at the VibrA School of DJing in Dortmund
- 2008 - 2010: Teacher for DJing at the VibrA School of DJing in Münster
I passed the test for the Teacher Certificate at the VibrA with "Sehr Gut" (best grade possible).
I planned and executed workshop, seminars and lectures, f.e. at the "Ruhrpuls Festival" in Bochum (2012), for the LfM (Landesanstalt für Medien, 2013) and as an expert for Music Production, DJing and Remixing I lectured at a academic high school (Q1 and Q2 am Gymnasium, 2014).
Being a producer and remixer, my work got (and will be) released on several labels since 2011, i.e. Renegade Media (Toronto, Canada), Dubstep Division (Berlin, Germany), Redlight Media Germany (Krefeld, Germany), UK Breakbeat (London, England), DivisionBass (Bristol, England) and Deep In The Jungle Records (also England).
Additionally I am producer of the current mixtape series "Rootsstep To The World" for Rootstep Division Recordings (Berlin, Germany) with more than 20 issues within the last year.