Success on Skillshare comes in many forms and many sizes. We reached out to a few of our up-and-coming teachers to see what they’ve been able to do with their Skillshare earnings:
“I love that I can share my passion with other people!”
— Kelly Newbery
- Name: Kelly Newbery
- Occupation: By day I am the Marketing Manager for an IT company. By night (and on the weekends) I am the owner of Petite Plant. I teach people how to create beautiful plant displays and care for their plants. I specialize in cute plants for small spaces – so helping people who live in apartments or townhouses find ways to bring nature into their lives.
- What’s your favorite part about teaching on Skillshare? I love that I can share my passion with other people! I get so much joy from gardening and I love seeing my students enjoy their projects and my classes. I love sharing my knowledge, which is why I also teach at a local university. Another thing I love is sharing Skillshare with other Aussies who may not have heard about it! Everyone who finds out about it absolutely loves learning from Skillshare.
- How have your Skillshare earnings impacted your life? My partner and I recently bought a house, so money has been a bit tight ever since. My Skillshare earnings go straight into my new gardening budget! Our place currently has a lump of dirt covered in weeds for a front yard, which means it won’t be cheap to transform it into the beautiful cottage garden I’m dreaming about. But luckily this extra income from Skillshare will help make it a reality.
- Kelly’s Average Monthly Earnings: $200
“Skillshare is helping me to achieve my goal of making a full-time living as an artist.”
— Anne Butera
- Name: Anne Butera
- Occupation: I’m a self-taught artist building up a career around art-making. I also work in our town’s library.
- What’s your favorite part about teaching on Skillshare? I never imagined that I would be teaching classes online, and when I was contacted by Skillshare to see if I’d be interested, my initial reaction was uncertainty, but something deeper whispered yes. I’m so glad that I listened to that whisper! Art-making and being creative can transform your life; I think a lot of people don’t realize it’s even possible. From the beginning of my artistic journey I’ve been passionate about encouraging and inspiring others to follow their creative dreams. I’ve kept a blog for the past six years with that as an underlying focus. My blog has a small, loyal following, but I always wished that I could reach and inspire more people. Now, on Skillshare I can.
- How have your Skillshare earnings impacted your life? Building up an art business from scratch is a very slow process. I’m still very new to the platform (I only published my first class at the end of July) but from what I’ve experienced so far, having Skillshare as an additional income stream is helping me to achieve my goal of making a full-time living as an artist. I’m not there yet, but I can see it getting nearer than it was before! Ask me again in another couple months and I hope to have a different answer!
- Anne’s Average Monthly Earnings: $550
“Skillshare helps me to broaden my horizon and learn new skills.”
— Sebastiaan Destellirer
- Name: Sebastiaan Destellirer
- Occupation: I work as a Graphic Designer in the in-house marketing & communications department of a multi-national organization. My day to day work is focused on branding, packaging, product brochures, advertisements, online banners and more.
- What’s your favorite part about teaching on Skillshare? My favorite part is the actual teaching itself, sharing back knowledge and interacting with students, and seeing their projects evolve.
- How have your Skillshare earnings impacted your life? For me, the impact is more in personal growth. It’s been useful for me in so many ways. A lot of the things that I learned during my Skillshare adventure I take back into my day-job. I’ve been making animations and doing video editing, which are tasks I didn’t do before as a Graphic Designer coming from a more traditional “Print” background. The whole reason I started as a student on Skillshare was to broaden my horizon and learn new skills. Looking back on this last year I can only conclude that it was a huge success, and one that is continuing to this day.
- Sebastiaan’s Average Monthly Earnings: $150
Want to find out what Success on Skillshare means to you? Get started in the Challenge today!