One of the more technical aspects of TikTok for beginners is learning how to crop and resize videos, especially when it comes to their length or how they’re adjusted within the app. Luckily, while the process may be finicky at first, it’ll make everything you create so much better in the long run.
How to Crop a Video on TikTok
Unfortunately, TikTok doesn’t allow you to crop a video’s size within the app itself, so let’s go over how to do that on your phone before diving into how to resize video length.
Because every phone’s camera features and dimensions are slightly different, one of the best things you can do is download the InShot video editor app on iOS or Android to standardize the process. You’re not gonna believe how easy this is!
1. Open the InShot app and select the type of content (video, photo, or collage) that you want to use, then upload the clips or shots you’ve already taken.
2. Once you do that and click “Select,” you’ll see a suite of editing tools pop up. Click the one on the left that says “Canvas.”
3. At the bottom of the “Canvas” options, you’ll see a variety of aspect ratios for different social platforms. Choose the one for TikTok, which is 9:16. (It even has the TikTok logo to make this extra simple!)
4. After that, all you have to do is finish editing your clips how you see fit and then click the export button in the top right-hand corner. (It’s that icon that looks like a square with an arrow in it.) Presto, you’ve got a cropped video that’s ready to upload into TikTok!
How to Crop a Video’s Length on TikTok
Once you’ve got a cropped video from a size perspective, what happens if you want to crop the length of your content? There are two separate but similar processes for how to crop a video’s length on TikTok, depending on whether you’re doing it with a clip you recorded in the app or if you’re uploading a video you recorded on your phone. Let’s start with how to crop a video on TikTok.
1. Open up your TikTok app and click the plus symbol at the bottom of the screen to create a new video.
2. Press the bright red button to record your video and then press the red checkmark when you’re done filming.
3. If you want to also crop the length of the video itself, click the “Adjust Clips” icon on the right-hand side of the screen on the next slide. From there, you’ll be able to move the red brackets on your video to resize your clip. Just press the save button once you’re done, and you’re all set!
How to Resize a Video for TikTok
Now let’s move on to how to resize a video for TikTok that you recorded elsewhere on your phone and not within the app itself. This is also an incredibly straightforward process.
1. To resize a video for TikTok, you’re going to import the clips that you want to TikTok by clicking the plus symbol at the bottom of the screen to create a new video. Then, click the “Upload” icon on the bottom-right corner.
2. Once you select the video you want, click “Next” and then you’ll be taken to a screen where you can resize the video for TikTok. After that, you’re ready to add any sounds, voiceovers, or effects you want. You’re all set! That’s your resize a video for TikTok how-to.
Talk about another easy TikTok hack, right? You can crop and resize as many different videos as you want, all of which will help you on your journey to creating incredible content for the masses.
Learn More Social Media Secrets
Mastering TikTok: Stop Scrolling and Post Your First TikTok