WordPress is one of the most popular blog and content management systems (CMS). Many people use the hosted version, which provides a feature rich and powerful blogging engine. But if you would like to "take it to the next level" then you need to consider installing a "self-hosted" version of WordPress. It's not as hard as it may sound, and once you have it installed you can extend its features to customize the look and feel of your blog or CMS. In this class we will learn:
- The basic requirements for hosting a WordPress blog/CMS
- How to install WordPress on your hosting provider
- How to download and change themes to modify the look and feel of your
- How to install plug-ins and sidebar widgets to add functionality
- How to modify the look and feel using PHP and CSS
- How to backup your WordPress database
- How to automatically upgrade WordPress, plug-ins and widgets
A basic knowledge of web hosting and internet technologies (e.g., FTP) is recommended for students considering this class.
Upon completion of the class the student will be able to install and maintain a self-hosted WordPress blog/CMS.