Pre-work (before first in-person class):
- Readings: Will be sent out to attendees.
- Assignment: Fill out the Google Form here http://bit.ly/veLDiU to describe your background and the issues you face.
- Discuss the above with Paul by email before the first in-person class. We do this in order to save time and so you get the most out of the in-person sessions.
Session 1, February 21st (in-person):
- Lecture Content: Specific tools to use to learn from potential customers and build that into your designs and business. Intro to Build-Measure-Learn, Customer Observation, Wireframing / Mockups, A/B testing, Cohort Metrics, and other tools. How to translate your findings to your design and business. After this introduction, Session 1 will then focus on Qualitative methods.
- Excercise. How to use customer observation to help improve your design.
- Discussion (the main event this class): Attendees talk about their plans and actions so far to talk to potential customers. Group discussion of findings or ideas. Discussion of readings.
- Assignment: Show 10 potential customers a mockup or demo and use the techniques we tried in class. Be ready to share your findings in the next class.
Session 2, March 6th (in-person):
- Discussion: Of your customer observation work.
- Lecture Content: Session 2 focuses on Quantitative methods. Review of Cohort Metrics, AARRR (Acquisition, Activation, Retention, Referral, Revenue). Related techniques.
- Exercises: Metrics exercises. We’ll look at sample excel files and analyze what we can learn from looking at the data. Look at the data before class. Intro to Google Analytics, if people are interested.
- Assignment: Try the observation exercise from this class and talk to another 20 potential customers.