Who Would Benefit from these Classes?
This class is to help photographers focus. You may be good at taking pictures, but perhaps need guidance in figuring out your passion.
I'll be your mentor for as long as you want. Meaning any one that has taken this class may take it again and again. BONUS: those who have taken any "Brutally Honest: Your Photography Coach" class will receive a 20% discount towards future BH:YPC classes.
The students I've taught have appreciated how direct (no BS) I am when it comes to constructive criticism. I'm not going to sugar coat it for you because the best way to improve yourself and your art is to understand what works and what doesn't work, and how can improve. Honest opinions from the entire class is encouraged.
Private office at 800 Market Street, San Francisco, CA 94108.
Call 415.690.7494 when you are at the front door
800 Market Street - when you arrive call 415.690.7494
San Francisco, CA
What Happens in these Sessions?
The class is kept small and intimate in order for each student to receive personalize attention while at the same time understand how to critique the works of others in order to better understand how to improve your own work.
- I have two shots of the same subject but can't decide which is better
> Bring both images
- My project(s) is still up in the air, I can't decide which direction to focus on
> My coaching technique will guide you and help you figure it out . Remember, you may bring different styles or genre of photography
- I don't know how to properly critique images, will I need to participate in critiquing the works of others?
> Yes. I will walk the class in how simple it is to deconstruct an image. You'll get the hang of it and when you do, you'll learn how to make your edits through your viewfinder.
- What genre or style of photography may I bring?
> Any! Including but not excluding fashion, landscapes, nature, documentary, portraits, photojournalism, products, weddings, interiors, etc.
What if I shoot everything and can't decide which sets/projects to bring?
> Bring them all but remember, we can only show up to 40 images.
I shoot film and digital, may I bring prints?
> To be conscious of time, please only bring jpgs. Scan your negatives into jpgs
Other Topics That May Be Covered - I will customize the class based on the student's needs:
- Am I ready to be a professional photographer?
- Should I go back to art school or do an appreticeship/internship?
- Do I need a business license?
- Do I need model releases? contracts? invoices?
- How much should I charge?
- Where can I show my work?
6:30 pm - 8:30 pm PDTAdd to Cal
Mona T. Brooks Photography started when Mona was unhappy with working in corporate America. Mona bought an SLR in 2000 for her trip to Maui. Three years later, she quit her marketing management job to pursuit photography full time. Six years since she graduated, she now teaches in her alma mater, Academy of Art University, while maintaining a full service photography business out of her home in the Bay Area.
BFA Documentary Photography, Academy of Art University, San Francisco, 2006
Instructor, Photography Dept at Academy of Art University, San Francisco, 2012
* Obama for America and Democratic National Convention (2008) link
* California Attorney General Kamala Harris
* Netroots Nation
* Leader and Senator Nancy Pelosi
monabrooks at gmail dot com
This class hasn't been reviewed yet.