Graffiti Art & Design - An Intro to the Culture & Techniques
This is a preliminary introduction teaching you how to create Graffiti art (on paper), & to get you familiar with the best tools to use (a variety of pencils, pens, markers, ink & paper), a brief historical context will be explored to orient you in the evolution of graffiti styles & how it relates to & supports a variety of creative fields.
Participants can look forward to learning how to create urban-based typography & character art. A variety of creative applications will be explored.
Participants will become familiar with the roots of NYC graffiti, it's influences around the world, basic to intermediary techniques & styles used in the practice of graffiti lettering & character art.
Participants will need to bring:
- favorite drawing tools &/or their personal sketch pad (if you have any specific favorites or would like to keep your work in one place)
- 1 black ink pen (examples: papermate felt tip, Faber-Castell-Pitt Artist pen-Medium point, fine point sharpie, Pilot Razor Point) IF YOU FORGET OR CANNOT BRING ONE, A BLACK INK PEN WILL BE PROVIDED FOR YOU, (so dont trip)
- A pad or notebook to take notes during the workshop & ballpoint pen
- A camera if you would like to take pictures of the art in the studio (my studio also serves as a gallery for my artwork :) I also allow audio recording of the workshop lecture component, as long as you can provide me with a copy for promotional use.
What is provided :
- A variety of Ink Pens, color markers, pencils & Paper suitable for practice & professional works.
- On-site resources such as : "How To" books, Art books & graffiti/design magazines the feature the top graffiti artists globally, Original Artwork in a variety of mediums from which you may "bite" my styles lol
- A professional studio environment which fosters creativity & a love of learning.
- A semi-social space to network at before & after the workshop (the studio is a collective of multi-disciplined artists/educators & professionals.
Upon registration, an email with registration confirmation, contact info, transportation info & resource links & graffiti terminology will be sent to you, while it is not a prerequisite to visit the links before hand, it is suggested that you brief over & get familiar with the terms listed.
please feel free to visit my website to see a smattering of my work: http://sohnup.com
While "Graffiti Art & Design - An Intro to the Culture & Techniques" is not a prerequisite for my advanced Graffiti courses, I strongly encourage participants to take it prior to the Advanced Graffiti course as a foundation to build off of. (we will offer 3 levels of skill building in the upcoming course)
For those who have experience with the art form & techniques, before registering for the advanced courses, please send a sample/example to [email protected] for review,
you will receive a follow up email with my class recommendation.
We are located in the Bronx at the lovely Landmark, the Andrew Freedman Home 1125 Grand Concourse (on the corner of McClellan Street).
Thanks soo much!
The Landing Padd TME PRO
127 Lincoln Ave 3rd floor
6:30 pm - 8:00 pm EDTAdd to Cal
I was born & raised in NYC & am an arts educator & media literacy specialist of 15 years plus (locally, nationally & internationally) working in a variety of settings, from Cultural Institutions, Museums, & arts organizations, to community-based orgs, festivals, schools & privately.
I've also run my own programs through my company Soh Nup Ink for as many years. I founded & was the director of "Elevated Urban Arts & Education" (1998-2001) & directed the first multi-media arts in-school High School program in NYC (arguably in the entire country) at Robert F. Wagner Secondary School for Arts & Technology Queens NY (formerly, "Institute of Arts & Technology").
Select institutions, press & professional design work :
- Original Graffiti "Writer" from NYC circa 1982-1989 (Yes I was in the trains doing my thing)
- Created the first ever graffiti comic book / coloring book 1996 "Hard Rockz n Cotton Candy"
- Featured Graffiti Artist for HURT VILLAGE Off-Broadway Theater Row production
- Featured Artist "Generation Next" @ the Whitney Museum of American Art (alongside of noted Marvel Comics Artist Sean Chen, Wolverine, x-men etc.)
- Website Illustrations (& accompanying music) for The Paley Center ("Def Jam Generation")
- Muralist for The School Of Rock (Long Island NY)
- Muralist for PACHA NYC CLUB
- Featured in a variety of publications such as:
- "From the Platform: Subway Graffiti, 1983-1989" (Paul Cavalieri, Schiffer Pub. 2011)
- "Stickers - Stuck up piece of crap - "From Punk Rock to Contemporary Art" (DB Burkeman w/ Monica LoCascio, Rizzoli NY Pub. 2010)
- my artwork has been featured locally, nationally & internationally, Hong Kong, Australia etc.
- Advisory Board Member of the Hip-Hop Education Center | NYU | Steinhardt | Metro Center
- Featured Artist with Artsprojekt (Andy Howell's Exclusive On-line art goods platform)
need I say more? please visit my website & download the press kit if you like. :)
checko out more of my work at:
There you will find loads of other cool stuff that speaks to my visual styles, my passion & commitment to teaching & sharing my love of art.
This class hasn't been reviewed yet.