Graffiti Art & Design - An Intro to the Culture & Techniques
This is a preliminary introduction teaching you how to create Graffiti art (on paper), & to get you familiar with the best tools to use (a variety of pencils, pens, markers, ink & paper), a brief historical context will be explored to orient you in the evolution of graffiti styles & how it relates to & supports a variety of creative fields.
Participants can look forward to learning how to create urban-based typography & character art. A variety of creative applications will be explored.
Participants will become familiar with the roots of NYC graffiti, it's influences around the world, basic to intermediary techniques & styles used in the practice of graffiti lettering & character art.
Participants will need to bring:
- favorite drawing tools &/or their personal sketch pad (if you have any specific favorites or would like to keep your work in one place)
- 1 black ink pen (examples: papermate felt tip, Faber-Castell-Pitt Artist pen-Medium point, fine point sharpie, Pilot Razor Point) IF YOU FORGET OR CANNOT BRING ONE, A BLACK INK PEN WILL BE PROVIDED FOR YOU, (so dont trip)
- A pad or notebook to take notes during the workshop & ballpoint pen
- A camera if you would like to take pictures of the art in the studio (my studio also serves as a gallery for my artwork :) I also allow audio recording of the workshop lecture component, as long as you can provide me with a copy for promotional use.
What is provided :
- A variety of Ink Pens, color markers, pencils & Paper suitable for practice & professional works.
- On-site resources such as : "How To" books, Art books & graffiti/design magazines the feature the top graffiti artists globally, Original Artwork in a variety of mediums from which you may "bite" my styles lol
- A professional studio environment which fosters creativity & a love of learning.
- A semi-social space to network at before & after the workshop (the studio is a collective of multi-disciplined artists/educators & professionals.
Upon registration, an email with registration confirmation, contact info, transportation info & resource links & graffiti terminology will be sent to you, while it is not a prerequisite to visit the links before hand, it is suggested that you brief over & get familiar with the terms listed.
please feel free to visit my website to see a smattering of my work: http://sohnup.com
While "Graffiti Art & Design - An Intro to the Culture & Techniques" is not a prerequisite for my advanced Graffiti courses, I strongly encourage participants to take it prior to the Advanced Graffiti course as a foundation to build off of. (we will offer 3 levels of skill building in the upcoming course)
For those who have experience with the art form & techniques, before registering for the advanced courses, please send a sample/example to firstname.lastname@example.org for review,
you will receive a follow up email with my class recommendation.
Thanks soo much!
FYI, we are located across the street from the Clock Tower Studios & around the corner from the Bruckner Bar & Grill.
The Landing Padd TME PRO
127 Lincoln Ave 3rd floor
6:30 pm - 8:00 pm EDTAdd to Cal
I was born & raised in NYC & am an arts educator & media literacy specialist of 15 years plus (locally, nationally & internationally) working in a variety of settings, from Cultural Institutions, Museums, & arts organizations, to community-based orgs, festivals, schools & privately.
I've also run my own programs through my company Soh Nup Ink for as many years. I founded & was the director of "Elevated Urban Arts & Education" (1998-2001) & directed the first multi-media arts in-school High School program in NYC (arguably in the entire country) at Robert F. Wagner Secondary School for Arts & Technology Queens NY (formerly, "Institute of Arts & Technology").
Select institutions, press & professional design work :
- Original Graffiti "Writer" from NYC circa 1982-1989 (Yes I was in the trains doing my thing)
- Created the first ever graffiti comic book / coloring book 1996 "Hard Rockz n Cotton Candy"
- Featured Graffiti Artist for HURT VILLAGE Off-Broadway Theater Row production (see it now!)
- Featured Artist "Generation Next" @ the Whitney Museum of American Art (alongside of noted Marvel Comics Artist Sean Chen, Wolverine, x-men etc.)
- Website Illustrations (& accompanying music) for The Paley Center ("Def Jam Generation")
- Muralist for The School Of Rock (Long Island NY)
- Muralist for PACHA NYC CLUB
- Featured in a variety of publications such as:
- "From the Platform: Subway Graffiti, 1983-1989" (Paul Cavalieri, Schiffer Pub. 2011)
- "Stickers - Stuck up piece of crap - "From Punk Rock to Contemporary Art" (DB Burkeman w/ Monica LoCascio, Rizzoli NY Pub. 2010)
- my artwork has been featured locally, nationally & internationally, Hong Kong, Australia etc.
- Advisory Board Member of the Hip-Hop Education Center | NYU | Steinhardt | Metro Center
- Featured Artist with Artsprojekt (Andy Howell's Exclusive On-line art goods platform)
need I say more? please visit my website & download the press kit if you like. :)
There you will find loads of other cool stuff that says I have the "skillz to pay the billz" & have been paying them since '88. :)
This class hasn't been reviewed yet.