Graffiti Art & Design - An Intro to the Culture & Techniques
This is a preliminary introduction teaching you how to create Graffiti art (on paper), & to get you familiar with the best tools to use (a variety of pencils, pens, markers, ink & paper), a brief historical context will be explored to orient you in the evolution of graffiti styles & how it relates to & supports a variety of creative fields.
Participants can look forward to learning how to create urban-based typography & character art. A variety of creative applications will be explored.
Participants will become familiar with the roots of NYC graffiti, it's influences around the world, basic to intermediary techniques & styles used in the practice of graffiti lettering & character art.
Participants will need to bring:
- favorite drawing tools &/or their personal sketch pad (if you have any specific favorites or would like to keep your work in one place)
- 1 black ink pen (examples: papermate felt tip, Faber-Castell-Pitt Artist pen-Medium point, fine point sharpie, Pilot Razor Point) IF YOU FORGET OR CANNOT BRING ONE, A BLACK INK PEN WILL BE PROVIDED FOR YOU, (so dont trip)
- A pad or notebook to take notes during the workshop & ballpoint pen
- A camera if you would like to take pictures of the art in the studio (my studio also serves as a gallery for my artwork :) I also allow audio recording of the workshop lecture component, as long as you can provide me with a copy for promotional use.
What is provided :
- A variety of Ink Pens, color markers, pencils & Paper suitable for practice & professional works.
- On-site resources such as : "How To" books, Art books & graffiti/design magazines the feature the top graffiti artists globally, Original Artwork in a variety of mediums from which you may "bite" my styles lol
- A professional studio environment which fosters creativity & a love of learning.
- A semi-social space to network at before & after the workshop (the studio is a collective of multi-disciplined artists/educators & professionals.
Upon registration, an email with registration confirmation, contact info, transportation info & resource links & graffiti terminology will be sent to you, while it is not a prerequisite to visit the links before hand, it is suggested that you brief over & get familiar with the terms listed.
please feel free to visit my website to see a smattering of my work: http://sohnup.com
While "Graffiti Art & Design - An Intro to the Culture & Techniques" is not a prerequisite for my advanced Graffiti courses, I strongly encourage participants to take it prior to the Advanced Graffiti course as a foundation to build off of. (we will offer 3 levels of skill building in the upcoming course)
For those who have experience with the art form & techniques, before registering for the advanced courses, please send a sample/example to firstname.lastname@example.org for review,
you will receive a follow up email with my class recommendation.
Thanks soo much!
FYI, we are located across the street from the Clock Tower Studios & around the corner from the Bruckner Bar & Grill.
Lead Imagineer at Soh Nup Ink | Edu
I was born & raised in NYC & am an arts educator & media literacy specialist of 15 years plus (locally, nationally & internationally) working in a variety of settings, from Cultural Institutions, Museums, & arts organizations, to community-based orgs, festivals, schools & privately.
I've also run my...view full bio
This class hasn't been reviewed yet.