Want to become an iPhone Developer, but can't quit your day job?
Learn how to write your apps for iPhone or iPad using Objective-C, the primary language for Apple iOS Platform. This class is designed for absolute beginners, no programming experience is required. After the class is complete, you will have all the tools required to become an iPhone developer. Classes take place Tuesday and Thursday nights in Downtown SF.
The class will touch upon the topics explained below:
- Intro to Object-Oriented Programming: Learn the basics of programming and how to use virtual objects to design and build applications.
- Model View Controller: Design your application to work in the most efficient manner possible, separate Data, View, and Logic classes.
- Objective-C 101: Grasp a few simple principles of the grammar and syntax.
- Making Your First App: Experience step-by-step how to build a Tip Calculator.
- MapKit: Create your own Map-based applications.
- Delegation: Learn how to create your own delegates and delegate protocols allowing your code to be triggered by system events.
- Navigation Controllers: Dive into the fundamental controller behind many iPhone apps like Mail, Twitter, and Facebook.
- Memory Management: Learn more about how memory management works and Automatic Memory Management (ARC).
- Core Data - Learn how to create and interact with databases.
- Network Connections - Send and Receive data over wireless networks.
- Social Networking - Add Twitter and Facebook support to your apps.
- Custom UI - How to add your own look and feel.
- Adding Retina Assets - How to add support for Retina display devices.
- Running on your Device - Run your application on your devi
- Submitting to the App Store - A Step-by-Step guide on how to submit your app to the App Store.
The class will be over 4 weeks, meeting on Tuesday and Thursday nights from 7pm to 9pm. Wifi and power is included in every seat.
- 8 Hours of Lecture with Online Slide Deck
- 8 Hours of In-person Workshopping
- 12 Class Exercises with Source Code
- Online Screencasts of each Session
- Class Website for Collaboration
- Online Office Hours
- Wifi & Power Provided
What Previous Students Have Said
- "Steve has great communication and clear instructions."
- "Great course on intro iOS development from Steve. He has the rare combination of serious technical chops while also having the ability to break down complex processes into simple steps for beginners. He also does a good job keeping the material interesting over several hours of class. Highly recommend his course for folks wanting to get started in iOS dev."
- "Steve provides simple examples that cover fundamentals and good material to go over later."
- "Steady increase in difficulty throughout the course, good explanations, great presentation."
- "Steve is a great teacher. He is very clear and uses great examples that allowed me, as a beginner, to really understand the fundamental concepts of developing an iOS app. To be a great iOS developer, it takes a lot of time and effort, but starting is the hardest part and Steve made that feel like a breeze. The best part was that in his four hour intro class, we built 3 apps! I'm one who learns by doing and his class was a fantastic balance between theory and implementation."
- Macbook with Mac OSX Lion or Mountain Lion
- XCode 4.5 or higher installed.
- Apple Developer License ($99/year)
You can download XCode from the Mac App Store. You can get your Apple Developer License from the Apple Developer Website.